Saturday, January 22, 2011

Virtual Worlds- The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

I was totally ignorant of virtual worlds prior to 2005, but I am always up for trying something new. So when my husband told me to try out this new "game" he found that appeared to be a bit like the sims, which I had loved for a while, I thought, "Why Not?"

That day, I began my journey into Second Life. Second Life baffled me. I could not believe that there were so many different people in  a place such is this. I met people that were animal avatars, people with giant appendages of male anatomy, virtual prostitutes and tiny animals, and this was all in my first week. Because this experience was so new for me, I was totally freaked out. I isolated myself. I did not know how to interact with these people in "this game."

As time went on, I realized this was not a game at all. However, it did still take me a while to realize that whatever I did in this virtual world did indeed have real life repercussions on people. Things I would say or do only in fun hurt people very badly. I still regret some of things I did and said as I was exploring this new virtual place. However, I was ignorant of the culture, and it took me a while to learn that an avatar presents a person's heart, and a person's soul.

Some people never do learn that, which can be the ugly thing about virtual worlds. You see what equates itself to what you may remember from high school. There are cliques. You have the haves versus the have nots. Those with different interests lump themselves together and are looked at is freaks by the rest of the community sometimes. You have those that have genuine hearts and try to treat everyone the same, then have rumors spread about them because they are an enemy's friend (these are supposedly adults I mind you!).  Along with the rumors and the cliques, you have those who feel they are entitled in some way to special treatment. It could be they feel all should fall at their feet for their great knowledge in the VW realm, those who feel you should know they are a "Big Name," and those who think  if you are their friend, you will give them anything they ask. It can get to be quite a mess. It almost seems necessary, though to friend these people if you would like to be considered part of the professional community which are the creators of items in these virtual worlds.

So why am I still in a virtual world five years later, you may ask? The answer is simple. The good really does weigh out the bad, at least in my life.

It took me a while to realize where my place was in the Virtual World Circuit. I tried being bad (some may say a griefer), I tried the partner thing, I tried creating, and I tried being social versus nonsocial. In the end, I discovered that being in a virtual world helped me rediscover myself in many ways.

First, it made me where I became more social. I was not as intimidated to speak to an avatar as I would a real life stranger. Though virtual worlds, I have made some of the best friends I have ever had in my life. I am not nearly as shy as I was 5 years ago. I am more apt to tell others the truth about what I think, good or bad. Some even say I am a bit wittier these days. Personally, I feel I have always had a bit of wit to me, I just was too shy to share it.

Secondly, virtual worlds allow me to be creative. I have always had an interest in art, but had never found a medium that seemed to be "me." I have won contests at county fairs with water colors and pastels, but did not like the fact I could not make my art look "real". Oil paints were too messy. I am good with pencil, but again, I felt it lacked something. Once I discovered virtual art, I knew I had found my medium. Sure, I may not make but 50 cents if someone buys something I create in a virtual world, but its not the money I am after. It is the enjoyment. Some may say people who spend time in virtual worlds are wasting too much time, or should be doing something else. What are they doing though? Most likely, they can tell you about 2 or 3 soaps, and inform you about many episodes of prime time tv.

Lastly, virtual worlds give me confidence.  Knowing others appreciate my creations makes me feel good. When someone compliments me on a creation, it gives me a feeling of satisfaction. So being there, in part, may be a bit selfish. However, we all need to feel appreciated.

So, for me, I will choose to stay in this realm until it vanishes, which I cannot see it doing any time soon. Is it right for everyone? Absolutely not. Are there people I come in contact with I want to smack? Absolutely! However, in general, I feel that becoming part of the virtual world society has enhanced my life and my sense of being.

1 comment: