Saturday, January 22, 2011

So, What about Inworldz?

I have heard a lot of virtual world comparisons, grid bashings and what have you lately. I have had a little experience with some of the grids. However, I am going to focus on the one I have come to call home.

I began  searching for an alternative grid actively when SL began imposing regulations and began suggesting they were going to merge the adult and teen grids.SL had turned into a place I no longer liked to be at. There were BIAB things at many malls, and there WERE many, many malls. (nothing but malls!)  It had lost its appeal to me. My businesses began to not be very profitable because there was an oversaturation of markets, and of the increased costs that SL continued to impose.

I first landed in Legend City. Many people know how Legend City ended. For those of you who do not, basically, anyone who was on the grid lost everything they put into it with no warning. I was renting land from a land owner and had literally spent hundreds in upload fees to get my items into this grid. One day, I tried to log in, and I no longer could. The ATM that was used to transfer funds from one grid to another had disappeared from SL, and all the money, RL and their form of money, was gone. We received no warning. It made me shy away from investing in any grids for a while after that.

Then one day an alt I have in SL received a notecard about Inworldz. I created a dummy account to go in and investigate it. It seemed friendly enough. I still felt like it was in the early stages, though. I did not have the patience to keep rebaking myself, reattaching prims etc. So, I kept the account, but did not go back.

Then someone else sent me a link about Inworldz; someone I trusted. She said it is growing fast and was the most viable of the ones out there. I thought I would go back and check it out. This time, I created an account with my Karmen avatar ( I had forgotten the name of my alt :)).

My first month or so were a little hairy. However, I could see that Inworldz was in deed the most viable alternative grid I had found. I bought a sim, and set up. I was very impressed with the professionalism of the staff and how quickly I got replies to questions when I asked. I had problems on my sim and one of the staff actually stayed in IM with me for at least 20 minutes helping me figure out my problem so it could be fixed! I was rather shocked to get an IM from him.

As months have gone by things have drastically improved for me. To those who are on forums and are complaining about them having swiss cheese skin, or their ankles around their ears, I ask them, when is the last time you logged in? I have not had either of those problems in at least three months.

When I first began bringing my business into IW, I would oftentimes build in SL, then import because it was frustrating to build in IW. I no longer do that now, though.

Inworldz does still lack physics, which is coming but there is no exact dates for that. I do not roleplay or have many items that require physics, but I know some are desperately seeking it. You can tell by Elenia's monthly reports that the economy is growing.

I have personally seen no instances of copybotting, which some say is running rampant in the alternate grids. I am not going to say there never has been any instances in IW, I just know they work very fast to take down instances that have been verified. So I personally have not experienced seeing it around. I have seen a lot of people selling items from kits. There is nothing wrong with that. I, myself have some of these items. I think that if people see multiple instances of some of these kits, they may misinterpret the sellers as copybotters. I have tried to be more careful with what I use from kits. If people are using kits, they need to be sure to change things up.It gets boring going shopping and seeing the same thing 5 times.

So all in all, I am very pleased with my experience thus far in Inworldz. People can trash it, say it is lag city, make fun of it and call it a wannbe grid, etc. But the bottom line is being there makes me happy and that is where I choose to make my home.

3 comments:

  1. Great to read your beginnings and how you along with the majority of us call IW our home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray another great blog to enjoy! Love it!

    ReplyDelete